Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Hong Kong 2017, #2: "Gooooiiing OUT"

I'm going out for a run before heading to "campus" (the techy office-space that the U. of C. rents at the "Cyberport" while the permanent campus is under construction).

It's idk about 7am? 8? I'm in running clothes, of course; also headphones, phone, etc.

As I'm going down the narrow stairwell of the building I'm renting a studio flat in, an old man comes in the door. White hair, very snaggle-toothed.

He looks me over and says with a real central-casting, older Chinese guy crinkled laugh: "Gooooiiing out."

It's a thing I'm used to, here; it's definitely not unfriendly. And obviously he's speaking in English because it's me. But also there's something internal about his process -- like it's a little for him, too, seeing this big white person on the stairs in the morning.

I smiled but he was already past me, up the stairs.

No comments: