Thursday, February 16, 2017

HliAT #16: "Pop in the Car Real Quick Go Grab [That Thing]"

How Long It Actually Takes To...

Go from the library in Topanga Canyon, into the parking lot hop in the car, drive a short stretch south on Topanga Canyon Boulevard to [the awesome] Country Natural Food, say hi to nice person working the counter and grab a pre-made sandwich and a cup of coffee, drive back and be back at your laptop: 8:19.37

So, the original point of HliAT, which absolutely still holds, was to explode my own (and perhaps, Reader, your) dumb unrealistic ideas about doing things quickly. To prove to myself that things always take time.

But sometimes it goes in the other direction. I, for one, am well capable of sitting for hours at (for example) the library, feeling hungry and like I'd love a hot cup of coffee, but not going to get it because "too much disruption". But, I mean, look: it's less than ten minutes. How does that compare to, I dunno, a dumb unfocused 'internet break'. And it's more fun! Getting out. And sustaining.

So in this HliAT, as in some others, the lesson is: just f#ckin' get on and do it.

No comments: