Friday, May 5, 2017

HliAT #22: Cleanup Post Trail Run

How Long It Actually Takes To...

conduct what I'd characterize as a non-dawdling but nonetheless unhurried personal cleanup/change, at my car at the trailhead after a trail run. Said cleanup includes: taking off most of clothes; toweling off; taking off rest of clothes (keeping on towel -- illegal public nudity not part of this or any other HliAT and is not recommended or condoned); laying out sweaty clothes on top of car for some airing out; cleaning off shins/lower legs of dirt and dust; taking off shoes; semi-cleaning feet; putting on (non-running) shoes and socks (because I'm wearing shorts! so I can put on my shoes first! so great!); shimmying into clean boxers beneath towel with shoes on (!); putting on shorts; last drying as necessary (really just hair, at this point); faffing around putting various sweaty running clothes/shoes/socks into various plastic bags for keeping thingz nice as possible in Speedy; um kind of last few faffy things for which I cannot give account ("where'd I put that gum?" "is my phone in the-- oh, no, there it is", etc.); walk around to driver's-side door shutting off stopwatch: 10:49.72

Speedy waiting faithfully at a trailhead (not today's)
This one is close to my heart. It used to be very relevant to my life; given that, I'm pleased by how comparatively quick an un-dawdling one actually takes. (I'm confident a dawdling one can take almost up 3x this time). sidebar: In one of my l0ng-4ss posts which I've yet to publish (the l0ng-4ss posts always take forever; not so much to write or even to edit, just to like be riding the exact right wave of mood and circumstance to dig into them with the requisite time / passion / attention to get them worthy of clay)-- ANYWAY, in one of those long posts, I'll be writing about how, for awhile upon moving out to Topanga, I stopped doing any trail runs that I could not do right from my house. So I was not doing this routine (driving to a trailhead; having to tidy up at my car after the run) at all, for awhile. And that future long post will be about how that is dumb because it stems from a...anyway, I'll save that for the post. Point is: this HliAT is part of my healing, friends. Thank you for listening. end sidebar

Anyway this is how long it takes to do this thing. I think I did a good job picking a representative example of this particular activity. On the face of it, perhaps this activity is less universal than some HliATs. But I bet you have a thing like this, friend. If you are this friend, I bet you have several.

No comments: