Monday, June 5, 2017

Hong Kong February 2016 (sic) #4

Don't worry, I'll be clear about time as I do this. I'm writing these words on the date this is posted in June, 2017.

But the rest of this post--I'll be clear, when this starts--is a post that, in draft form, has been sitting around since my first trip to Hong Kong in February 2016. It's kind of weird to think how that was my first trip, not that long ago, and that my second trip was just like a four months ago (no time). Time dilations: the things that have changed and that haven't, etc.

Anyway: here is that post. It's about being a flâneur. Beginstart:

Walking is different from running. I mean, duh. But the specific aspect I'm concerned with here is how differently distance is experienced in each.

A ten-miles run is like, "cool, great, good long run." It's a part of a day. Just a part of a day, "got a run in"; maybe a day with the bandwidth for a longer run, but that's it.

A day in which I walk ten miles is...well it means that that day was about walking.

As my yesterday was, here in Hong Kong.

Here's the path:

wait 2017 slimbuttons breaking in what the f$*K??? Look, here's what I wrote for myself 16 months ago and--

oh no, wait! wait I totally figured it out. It's cool, we're good: I see, reading down, that I actually totally did this a very smart way. I promise I did not engineer this little outburst in green; it's an example of a thing that I constantly do. Not green outbursts; this: I actually usually tend to not f#*k things up too badly the first time I do them. But then I often wind up putting them away for awhile (e.g., this post) before coming back to them; and when I do that I often forget that I've not totally f#*ked them up and so when I come back to them I do redundant work till I realize, "ah, crap. I did that. That was fine." Anyway, sorry for interrupting. We're back FEBRUARY 2016:

Here are the relevant legs that I walk...ed. Okay sorry I'm now--this is me now. 2017. But I'm going to keep going through the 2016 notes, writing out the entry, so it's also sort of recent past tense? I guess? Look we're just gonna have to get through it together.

Between Ursus Fitness and Ching Lin terrace (the flat where I stayed on that first trip). Distance: 0.9km.



Between Ursus Fitness and some place that I felt was sufficient to identify as "cafe", so sorry I can't give you a map on this one because I have no idea wtf I was talking about but I did write the Distance: 0.5km.

Between H-Kore and Ching Lin terrace. Distance: 3.4km.



Between H-Kore and the pier, to take the ferry to Kowloon. Distance: 0.8km.


Wandering around Kowloon; no map here again but in this case I remember: I estimated the distance based on marking out the general path I knew I had followed. Distance (one direction; "out"): ~2.4km.

Okay, so my path was that I walked
from my flat to Ursus
then from Ursus to the cafe -- oh yeah! I met a friend at Ursus to work out, then we had some food and caught up, then I walked home...yeah! yeahyeahyeah:
so from the cafe where I caught up with my friend back "to" Ursus but really past Ursus
continuing from Ursus back to my flat.

Then from my flat to H-Kore -- this was a weird day. WTF was I doing? A class at Ursus and H-Kore? Two workouts isn't weird, but that's a weird way to do it and weird workouts to--o well wutever:
then from H-Kore on to the ferry terminal
then the ferry took me to Kowloon (no walking)
and I walked around Kowloon
walked back to the ferry
took the ferry back
walked from the ferry terminal past H-Kore
and from there back to Ching Lin terrace.

What all that boils down to is just that I walked every "leg" twice ("there and back" in one way or another). So,

2 * (3.4 + 0.9 + 0.5 + 0.8 + 2.4)
= 2 * 8
= 16 km
= 9.94 miles

And the whole day, I remember, was about walking. Even though it was also a very full day: I did these workouts, I saw an old friend, I explored Kowloon some (walking, but a different kind). Nonetheless, the substrate of every thing that day was wallllking and--this is interesting--I was tired at the end of it. That I remember, too; "bone-tired". And in a different way than I am after running ten miles. The psychological wear of that much slower movement attritted on me in a different way.

Why'd I do that? Not the walking, I mean -- that was a smart idea, it was great to see how the city connected and how the Kennedy Town was fluidly contiguous into Central. I mean: write this post, after such a long time? Why was it important to me to do that? I don't know. If you read it -- I thank you. And if not, you're not reading this, so y'know whatever. Merry Christmas.

Anyway: walked 10 miles one day in February 2016 in Hong Kong. Major motion picture adaptation coming Fall 2020.

No comments: