Friday, February 20, 2015

The Actual World

Here's a drawing I did.


It's a good representation of my visual artistic abilities.

Those words on the left are "the actual world.".

Those words that bend around the dotted rectangle on the lower right are "this thing".

That word in the dotted rectangle is "me".

That box-in-a-box at the bottom isn't important: it's a check-box for me to tick once I've posted this (done!).

I drew this because of a sense of caution, or perhaps if I'm honest mild self-contempt, about this thing that I'm doing right now. How it's supposed to be about a thing that is very much in the world -- in business, in starting new things. And to some extent it is, in that the thinking and frameworks are very valuable. In fact I ought to and want to state that more strongly: the thing (the rectangle box) is of value, and offers something of value to the people (students) who enter into it. Most people would benefit from some time in the box.

BUT, me, in the box, doing the thing -- what's actually happening to ME is that I'm getting good at the rhetoric and frameworks and internal system of this thing: this course, this way of thinking, and all that. And outside that is the actual world. Which is its own, big, different set of circumstances. From which I am shielded.

That's all.

No comments: