Sunday, March 23, 2014

0-1: Rest

I'm not sure I handled this well. The "rest" question.

Oh, to anyone reading this anytime ever. I am not writing out these mistakes/areas for improvement as some kind of excuse or explanation. I wish I'd won this fight decisively. I think I could have. I'm pissed I didn't. I applaud L--- for his victory. This is me sorting out moving forward, and managing the fact that I am f***ing deeply upset at this loss.

So, rest. Basically, I'm not sure what's right for me. There is a ton written about this, obviously.

I think the idea is more of a total rest before the fight. But that didn't feel right to me.

My coach had us (me and N---, my fellow fighter from my gym, who now possesses a well-earned 1-0 record) train for the last time on Thursday, with the fight Friday.

I took an easy yoga class Friday at Maha Yoga; then a hard yoga class Saturday morning. (For anyone reading this under misapprehension that "hard yoga class" may not mean "hard": good grief.) It is partially true that my motives for doing this were not good, meaning they were part of the confused approach I had to making weight. But my motivation was also somewhat smart. I don't do well with total rest, often: I stiffen up and feel weak and jerky. Also I had a few mild injuries that I wanted to stretch out rather than let tighten. And lastly I do think I was sensibly optimistically looking at this as part of a process, and thinking that building myself conditioning-wise as keeping momentum throughout the fight prep would be smart.

But I wonder about that, and not just because 0-1. I wonder if I could've been stronger, fresher and faster. This is one of the things to think about.

No comments: